* Researchers observed incremental increases in the incidence of 2 types of kidney disease–lupus nephritis and ANCA-related glomerulonephritis–with increasingly lower income.
* Among patients with kidney failure and atrial fibrillation, Black, Hispanic White, and Asian patients filled prescriptions of stroke-preventive medications less often than non-Hispanic White patients, and they were more likely to experience stroke.
* This study examined the validity of national quality measures used to assess the quality of kidney-related care in the United States.
* Of 60 existing quality metrics related to kidney care, only half were rated as highly valid.
* Survival after kidney transplantation during childhood has improved over the last 40 years in Australia.
* Survival rates improved primality due to decreases in deaths from cardiovascular disease and infection.
American Society of Nephrology briefing on kidneyx: accelerating the future of kidney care
* Between 15 and 22 out of every 100 patients in India with mild-to-moderate chronic kidney disease had significant impairment in at least 1 of the 5 domains of quality of life.
* Quality of life scores were associated with sociodemographic factors (l…
* An analysis compared transplant recipients who received kidneys through national kidney paired donation and those who received kidneys from other living donors (such as relatives, friends or other paired exchange mechanisms).
* Despite a higher numbe…
* Subtle structural features of donated kidneys–which were observed through biopsies taken at the time of donation–were associated with the longevity of organs after they were transplanted.
* In analyses of biopsies of deceased donor kidneys, a repeat biopsy often showed very different findings than the initial biopsy, calling into question decisions to decline an organ based on the initial biopsy findings.
* Although the first biopsy fi…
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) has developed a Kidney Care First (KCF) Model Calculator, a tool that will help nephrologists anticipate how their practices might perform if they choose to participate in the new payment program.